Monday, April 30, 2007

Attached at the Hip

I made mention before of the many friendships that have shaped my life. It never ceases to amaze me. I have been blessed in relationships.
I do not fully understand the ebb and flow of them. How I have been SO close to a person and then a gradual distance happens. Before I know it what used to be a daily connection drifts to months and in some cases even years. It had been many many years since I had seen or talked to Jen. Jen was my best friend in high school. Closer than close can be. Both of our parents adopted the other and I practically lived at her house. After high school we went separate ways. She was the maid of honor in my wedding and then after that it was pretty sporadic when we would see each other. We hit highlights for the most part. Then silence. Years pasted. It did not take much for me to think of her. Her fingerprints are all over my life and there is TOO MUCH shared life to ever forget. A song could come on the radio and I instantly think of her. I can drive by an old hangout or be near her childhood home and of course can not help but think of her. By the time I am back home, I have forgotten that I want to connect and so it goes for years.
Until one day a few days ago when I get a call. It's Jen.
Yesterday, we hung out all afternoon and evening together and we talked so late into the night that she spent the night. We got caught up on all that has happened in life. It was evident how we had matured and grown but the core of who we are is the same. Jen is Jen. She can make me laugh with a single expression. She is intelligent and fun. We can have meaningful conversations and go deep. She still has her contagious laugh and her devious smile. And when she says something "I know what she means." The flashback has been fun. The reminiscing of old friends and things we have done. Places we have gone. Good times.

Love ya Jen! Always have and always will!


I leave you with this picture. It is of one of my favorite days. The two-headed fat farmer. I told you we were attached at the hip. In more ways than one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at you two! And I think I see a marching band uniform in the background... Ahhhh...memories.

heather j said...

That picture is so great! Brought back memories of my friend Karen. She too could make me laugh and have deep conversations. We looked alot like you and your friend. Me, brunette and she, blond. We had so much fun!!! And it looks like you guys did too! We were band geeks too :)

Anonymous said...

Oh how I remember that hairstyle! Loved reading this post - sure does sound like "good times".