Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Thoughts in my Head

I feel like a curtain has been lifted. That in the recesses of my mind there was a place that existed that for years I had nicely tucked away and forgotten about. Memories. Life experiences. Relationships. As I have reconnected with Jen it is like that part of me has awaken. At first it was foggy. When she mentioned going to her grandparents I thought to myself, 'hmm, did I go there?' Then it just took one memory of riding bikes to bring back a whole flood. I can remember minute details of that trip. The attack of the fish. Turtles. Cards.
As I have been driving around the last couple of days, the memories keep coming. I find myself laughing out loud over something we did. Memories, rich memories are alive in my brain.

As I think over this I am amazed at the minds power to remember and forget. The complexity of it boggles my mind. It makes me also think about how blogging is preserving memories for the future. I can remember with detail things that I have blogged about. I think this is because I relived the experience as I processed it to write the post. Then I periodically reread something. Remembered in detail. Whether I posted all the details or not. My mind revisited it so it said hey remember this it's important. There are things from my upbringing that I experienced and never gave it a second thought. I did not review it and say hey this was an awesome day or talk about with anyone so my mind has discarded it. Others may remember the day in full and I could question if I was even there. Even though the pictures show I was there. I wonder what else is in my head that I have forgotten about.

I know one thing I am very glad that I have this blog to look back over and remember. Not only for myself but also for my kids. Long after I am gone my words can still be found. Their mothers voice spoken over post after post of my life.

1 comment:

Karen Hossink said...

More good reasons to blog!!!

I'm glad you've been re-living some fun times through your memories the past couple days. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.