Friday, February 26, 2021

Why I Hike

     Three years! Three years ago on this day I had my back surgery. It changed my life.

 


      Three years may have passed but I can distinctly remember the pain, the inability to move, curling up in a ball, the attempts at relief, the feelings of isolation, the fear, how the nerves screamed out any time I took a step or tried to move. I remember the hours of physical therapy, traction, my saving grace, the reason I was able to gain the strength to go to work. It was a battle those months leading up to surgery. There were many things I could not do for myself. There were things I could not do for my family. I remember. 



    The decision for surgery did not come easily. While the majority of those months were one step at a time and pain filled, I was seeing improvement at times. My diet changes had improved the inflammation. The therapy had allowed me to get up and go to work. The meds took off the edge, most days. Even so, every day was a struggle and as the days passed it was clear that this was not how I wanted to live my life. 

Some people ask me why I hike. It's complicated. The simplified answer is because I can. After my surgery, I vowed to never take my mobility for granted ever again. I decided to live life to the fullest. When an opportunity arises, I seize it. Europe? Absolutely. Those feelings of being trapped, unable to move. I could barely make it from the bed to the bathroom most days. So when offered to cross the ocean and explore, it was one that I could not turn down. Travel I must. It launched a new kind of exploration for me. When my daughter took a fascination with Broadway and musicals, we had to go. We had to see as many shows as we could. (Glad we did! We miss theatre.) There are things that I have done in the last 3 years that I probably would have found excuses for prior to my surgery. I'm frugal. I'm practical. I am still those things but they will no longer stand in my way of an adventure. Another big contributor to my not taking life for granted, is the loss of my sister in law. Cancer took her far too early, and it solidified in my heart and mind that we are not promised tomorrow. We must live today. So I do. I hike! I get outdoors! I say yes to nature and exploring the world. I seize the day. I marvel at each sunrise for it is a new day. I cherish each setting sun as it is another reminder of a day well lived. I find beauty in the smallest of things, for I don't want to take anything for granted. 



Today marks the anniversary of a surgery. But for me it is far more than that. It is the anniversary of getting my life back and putting me on the path of adventure. For that I am very grateful!





7 comments:

Mindy Richmond said...

As you very well know, I echo all of this. You were right beside me when I couldn't care for myself. My experience was very different but the results were the same. I take nothing for granted, especially my health. While I took up running, not hiking, the reason is the same: because I CAN. I am so thankful for you and your place in my life and I'm overjoyed in seeing the abundance of joy and exciting changes in you these past 3 years! I love you Friend!!

Deborah Ruthenberg said...

I am not sure I ever thanked you and your family for being there for Mindy and her family. I was so relieved to someone was there with her when I couldnt be. Thank you so much. Hiking ... Dave and I love to hike and explore. It is so relaxing and interesting. Glad you got the back surgery and found your love of hiking.

Xyryskys said...

Love your story!

Erin said...

Thanks for sharing! A great reminder to not take one day, or mobility for granted. My back is currently limiting my mobility (minor, temporary) but painful. You're inspiring me to get out there once I recover.

عبير القحطان said...



نحن افضل شركة كشف تسربات المياة بالرياض لحل فواتير
المياه بالرياض ومتخصصين فى بحث وكشف تسربات المياه وحل تسرب
المياه ووقف نهائى لتسريب المياه بالضمان يوجد لدينا شركات
داخل وخارج الرياض متخصصيين فى مشاكل التسربات المياة كشركة
كشف تسربات المياة وكشف مياة التسرب وكشف تسرب المياة افضل شركة كشف تسرب المياه بالرياض يوجد فنيين متخصصين
للعمل لدى شركتنا فى ايجاد التسربات وحلول كثيرة لدينا فى
ايجاد تسريب المياه مع افضل الفنيين لحل ارتفاع فاتورة المياة
مع اطيب تمانينا لشركتنا لتفوقها فى الخدمات المنزلية عوازل



شركه كشف تسربات المياه بالطائف


شركة كشف تسرب المياه بالاحساء



شركه كشف تسربات المياه بجدة




شركه كشف تسربات المياه بمكة

عبير القحطان said...




شركه كشف تسربات المياه بمكة








شركه عزل فوم بالرياض

شركه عزل فوم بالدمام

شركه عزل اسطح بالدمام

شركه عزل فوم بالقطيف

شركه عزل فوم بالاحساء

شركه عزل فوم بالجبيل

UFA88 said...

I am really getting prepared to over this data, is exceptionally useful my companion. Likewise extraordinary blog here with the majority of the significant data you have. I am sharing related topic which is most important on
wordpress
ufa88kh.blogspot
youtube
SA GAMING