Saturday, April 29, 2006

Coming Full Circle

Shortly after I accepted Christ God put me through discipleship 101. I was a senior in high school. God was undeniable, he had pulled me out of the pits and revealed himself mightily. A campus life leader went on a retreat, while there he had a vision from the Lord. After he returned back he assembled 12 youth, myself included. He sat us down and begin to share the vision the Lord had showed to him. In a simple sentence it boiled down to this; A christian nightclub for young adults. A place to worship. A time of teaching. Not just a vision, a command to go forth.
Starting out it was just the 12 of us. It was simply a bible study. We met together , prayed and dug into the Word. Not long after we began meeting together the Lord provided a place to gather. I remember the first time we saw it. Anticipation. It exceeded my expectations. It was a small space probably around 1000sq ft. It had a foos ball table and a bar. There were two rooms. The smaller room had a couch and some chairs. The larger room had a bar the length of the wall. A popcorn machine. And open floor space. I was sold. We continued on in bible study meeting in the new space. We prayed and we prayed. Then it happened; the birth of Visions. Ministry was happening, lives were changing, people were being saved. We switched from a bible study format to a nightclub atmosphere. We had worship and a message. You could play foosball or dance. Talk with friends. It was the ultimate hang out for teens, a safe place to bring your friends. An alternative to the things of the world. It was not long until we were bursting at the seams. Over 100 kids on a Friday night. I look back fondly at those memories. I was young but I knew I was exactly were I needed to be. I met my husband at that place. The time came that we needed something more...more space. Again provided. Thankfully the move was not far, it was next door to an abandoned nightclub. It was a huge open space with a private room in the back corner. There was an established bar counter and a small office. Perfect!
Ministry was in full swing. I was in close fellowship with God. I prayed consistently and for great lengths. I could not deny the work God was doing and I was continually in awe of how he worked. He provided and provided...he is good like that. At that time I literally prayed in my closet. I miss that closet. Good memories there. Like that time I knew I was to marry DH (I will share that at a later date.) Good times, good times.
A time came when I married and began to step back more from the weekly participation in Visions. The kids came. And I rarely made it up. Visions went through some ups and downs. A time of dryness. Times of great fruit. Some awesome people were raised up. Talents developed. More discipleship.
Last Friday the Lord spoke to me and showed me it was time to go back. It was not just for a visit, he is calling me back to minister. I do not know exactly what this looks like. I do know God's hand is in it. I know it will be good. I went last night. So much is the same, so much has changed. New faces. Some old faces. There was a time when I knew everyone by name. I knew if you were new the moment you walked in. That wasn't so last night. I knew 10 people. Then I learned the names of about 20. The worship began and I knew I was home. I did not know any of the songs at first. It did not matter to me. It was worship. The talk began and it took me a little off guard. The first few minutes were about me. It was a reminiscing of what used to be. A taste of the old days. The teaching a reminder of what the heart was "back in the day." Intimate time with God, sincere time in prayer. It was God has been speaking to me all week anyway. Getting back to the prayer closet. Or if you like a prayer walk. Whatever it looks like...commited prayer.
So it is coming full circle. Back to the ministry were life happened for me. It's exciting! What is it the Lord will do? Whatever it may be it will be good...and amazing.

No comments: